Temporomandibular joint syndrome, usually abbreviated as tmj, is a jaw joint disorder that affects your jawbone. The jaw disorder is also referred to as temporomandibular joint disorder, TMD. The disorder may develop due to an injury on your jaw, jaw movement or a jaw bacterial infection which may have resulted due to an accident or other related oral and malocclusion issues.
However, you should not worry since you will get a successful tmj Los Angeles treatment here at Smile LA at incredibly cost-effective rate.
Reasons for tmj disorder development
- This is a condition where you may gnash or clench your teeth when chewing some foodstuffs or during the sleep. This condition may impact on your jawbone to be affected hence contributing to higher chances of developing tmj.
- Grinding of your teeth may tend to induce an extreme pressure on your jaw joint. The exaggerated force may lead to your jaw taking irregular positions that tend to trigger the development of the temporomandibular joint syndrome.
- Stressing moments. Being subjected to particular issues be it family, work or money tensions, you may tend to exert an overwhelming pressure on your facial muscles. These stressing times tend to make you a prone victim to tmj.
- Impacted wisdom teeth. Teeth that have been impacted due to overcrowding may subject your jaw to exerting a great tension that boosts tmj.
- Teeth that have an improper alignment and poor shapes may boost the tmj condition.
- Jaw joint osteoarthritis and rheumatoid tends to make you a vulnerable victim to tmj syndrome.
- Exerting a lot of pressure on your jaw by subjecting it to exaggerated chewing of gums can lead to increased chances of developing tmj.
Here at Smile LA, the dentist will conduct physical examinations so as to identify how intense your case is. Possible causes of the temporomandibular joint disorder will also be able to be identified. The dentist will also ask about your overall health history.
During the diagnosis, dental x-rays will be performed in order examine the state of your jaw and teeth. CT scan and MRIs will be conducted for scanning your jawbone and detecting other developed jaw drawbacks respectively.
You will be subjected to Invisalign treatment. During the treatment, general anesthesia will be applied to numb the area of treatment and to make the procedure as painless as possible.
The dentist will use dental appliances such as splints to improve your teeth alignment. A dental surgery that does not last more than three hours will be performed on your jaw under local anesthesia.
Medication used by our tmj specialist
- Botox drug is used to relieve jaw joint pain and tighten the jaw muscles.
- Metaxalone will be used to relax your jaw muscles.
- Neurontin is an anti-inflammatory drug used to relieve nerve pain.
How to offer effective treatment for tmj while at home
- You can use and ice cold pack on the affected side where you feel pain.
- Adapt to a good sleeping posture.
- Aspirin medication to relieve pain.
- Relax frequently.
- Use sedatives soaps such as lavender.
- You should avoid stress.
- Avoid gum chewing.
- Eat soft foodstuffs.
- Massage your neck and jaw muscles frequently.